Author Interview: Andrea Cremer

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Andrea Cremer:

Andrea Cremer spent her childhood daydreaming and roaming the forests and lakeshores of Northern Wisconsin. She now lives in Minnesota, but she thinks of her homeland as the “Canadian Shield” rather than the Midwest.

Andrea has always loved writing and has never stopped writing, but she only recently plunged into the deep end of the pool that is professional writing. When she’s not writing, Andrea teaches history at a very nice liberal arts college in St. Paul.

In the little spare time she can find, Andrea stares up at trees, rescues infant rabbits from predatory cats, and invents names for pug puppies with her husband. She has an unfortunate tendency to spill things – white carpets beware!

Her debut novel, NIGHTSHADE, the first of a YA fantasy series, will be published in fall 2010 by Penguin (Philomel). 
-Goodreads
  • If your book became a movie, who would you cast in the lead roles?
    I actually did a blog post on this very topic - you can find it here. It has pictures!

    • When did you first start writing?
    I've always written but I didn't think it was something I could pursue as a profession. Two years ago I was in a  horseback riding accident in which my foot was broken and I couldn't walk for the summer. Since I was stuck on the couch, I started writing a novel and found I couldn't stop.

    • Why did you choose werewolves as your main paranormal creatures in Nightshade?
    I chose wolves because I don't like werewolves. I grew up in a small town in the northwoods of Wisconsin and I've always thought of wolves as beautiful, graceful, and intelligent. I wanted to create a mythology wherein the ability to become a wolf wasn't a disease or a curse, but a gift.

    • Where do you like writing? Where do you like reading?
    I write wherever I can, whether that's on my couch with my dogs or at the airport when I'm waiting for a flight. Same goes for reading.

    • If you were to describe your novel in three words, what would they be?
    Seductive, addictive, thrilling.

    • Who was your favorite character to create and write about?
    My favorite character to write about is Mason because he's sweet and hilarious. My favorite characters to create are the villains.

    Stories of the past reveal truths about the present.

    • What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
    Keep writing! Improving your craft takes practice and hard work. Also make sure you're writing the story you're passionate about - don't write to please other people.

    • When you're not writing, what do you like to do?
    I have two dogs that I like to take for walks. I also do yoga, watch Supernatural, and play World of Warcraft with my husband.

    • If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
    Flight!



    Gina and I hope you enjoyed Andrea Cremer's interview as much as we did! If you'd like to learn more about her or her works, you can stalk her on her website, Goodreads, Twitter, and blog. If you want to learn more about Nightshade, check out my review!

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments