Author Interview: Max Brallier

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hey all – I’m Max – author, videogame designer/scripter, and all around pretty cool dude. During the daylight hours, I work in the Ad/Promo department at St. Martin’s Press.

I’m the author of Reasons to Smoke, Reasons to Drink, The All-Star Bathroom Sampler, and Toilet Trivia (to clarify, Toilet Trivia is NOT trivia ABOUT toilets – it’s trivia and fun stuff to read ON the toilet. Although a book of trivia about toilets might actually be kinda cool – so if you’re an editor and want to do that book, let’s hook it up!)

My first novel, the horror/humor/choose your own adventure-style mashup Can YOU Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? is coming from Gallery Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Feb ’11. And it’s awesome. --Goodreads
1. What were your influences to write about zombies?

Definitely George Romero and Dawn of the Dead. I saw that movie probably, I dunno, 15 years ago now? And it's still one of my biggest influences.

2. Do you think our world is on the verge of turning into a zombie apocalypse?

Yes, absolutely, 100% :)

3. Where do you like writing? Where you do like reading?

Kind of varies. Coffee shops I like. Starbucks is good, though it's always so damn crowded. Outside I love - like a park where there's a table (when it's nice out, of course). Always with an ice coffee.

4. If you were to describe Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? in three words, what would they be?

Well worth buying. Is that a good answer? :) Um - I'll go with...fun...violent...homageistic. Hey, just made up a word!

5. Which scenario was your favorite to create?

Probably the big showdown at Comic-Con...that was a blast to write. People dressed up as all sorts of famous movie and videogame characters getting killed off in crazy ways. That was fun.

6. When did you first start writing?

I didn't get too serious about it until my junior year of college. I always wanted to write movies, but then I ended up taking a sci-fi writing class where we did a lot of short story writing, and I kind of fell in love. Been playing with fiction since then!

7. Are you working on anything now? Can you tell us about it?

Playing around with a few different ideas - but hopefully another zombie something!

8. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

I say this all the time - try to get a job in book publishing. It will make everything SO much easier. You'll meet the right people and learn all sorts of helpful stuff.

9. When you’re not writing, what do you like to do?

Watch the Steelers, Pirates, and Celtics...play videogames...read...that's about it! Yikes. That's sad. Why'd you have to ask me that question?

10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

This is pretty unoriginal, sorry, but it's true - I'd love to be able to fly. Just soar through the air - that would be AMAZING. And then I'd shoot down and fly under bridges - always think that looks so cool in the movies.


I hope you enjoyed one of the funniest interviews I have ever done.  Thank you, Max, for joining us!  If you just can't get enough of him, check him out at his website HERE.  Or read his book, which I reviewed last week HERE.  To find out more about it go HERE.

You Might Also Like

0 comments