Movie Monday: Life of Pi

Monday, April 18, 2011

Breaking News!

Well, breaking news to me at least.  I was reading in my copy of Entertainment Weekly, a magazine that is full of awesome-ness-- out of no where, I read the most amazing news.  They are filming Life of Pi.  I read the book in September and thought it was pure genius, not to mention, I interviewed Yann Martel, author of Life of Pi, not too long ago.  Wow, I just can't wait for this movie to come out. 

Yann Martel's second novel, Life of Pi, appeared in Canada in 2001 to enthusiastic reviews and moderate sales. A year later, it came out of nowhere to win the Booker Prize and became an international publishing phenomenon (and Amazon.ca's first blockbuster). In a wonderful display of storytelling verve, Martel takes a distinctly unpromising premise--a "story that will make you believe in God" about a boy trapped on a lifeboat with an enormous tiger--and pulls it off with complete and winning confidence.-- Goodreads

So I had to research a bit to find the facts and who is played by who.  Tobey Maguire, best known for his role as Peter Parker in the Spiderman movies, lands the role as one of the reporters who interviews Pi when he is older.  Piscine, better known as Pi, is played by Suraj Sharma (featured left).  And the older version of Pi will be played by Irrfan Khan.  The only person I'm very familiar with his work would be Maguire, but the book was amazing so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That guy does look just right but I'm dubious about this movie. The book is really subtle and it's hard to see how that's going to come across on screen.

    ReplyDelete