Author Interview: Sara Bennett Wealer

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sara Bennett Wealer
I grew up in Manhattan, Kansas ("The Little Apple"), where I sang with the show choir and wrote for my high school newspaper. I majored in voice at the University of Kansas before deciding I had no business trying to make a living as an opera singing. I now make my living as a writer. You can learn more about me at my website: http://www.sarabennettwealer.com/ --Goodreads
1. If your book became a movie, who would you cast as Kathyrn? Who would you cast as Brooke?

I've got a daughter who's the target age for Disney channel fare, so we watch a lot of it and those are the actors I'm most familiar with these days. I think Bridgit Mendler would make a nice Brooke (http://www.fanpop.com/spots/bridgit-mendler/images/8972744/title/bridgit-photo). For Kathryn, maybe Miranda Cosgrove or Naomi Scott (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4305463/). I know all three of those girls can sing - not sure if they do opera, though. Perhaps the movie version of RIVAL could be about pop singing instead.

2. When did you first start writing?

I've got stories that I wrote in 3rd grade - I actually won a writing contest in grade school but they asked for more writing samples because they didn't believe I was actually that young. I was so precocious! :-)

3. How long did it take for you to go through the writing process of your novel, Rival?

 I usually have several projects going at once so it's hard to estimate how long each project takes - often I'll take big breaks while I work on other things. Taking all of that into consideration, I started working on RIVAL in earnest when my daughter was born, and she's now seven!

4. If you were to describe your novel in three words, what would they be?

Former friends compete!

5. Brooke and her friends did some mean things to Kathryn. According to your FAQ's, you had a high school rival, what was the meanest thing your rival ever did to you?

Nothing as dramatic as what happens in my book! I actually had a few rivals, and it was more about being hyper-aware of the other person, having a hard time being in the same room, gossip, etc. I remember one girl spit in my face, in ballet class, for no apparent reason. I think she just wanted to see what would happen. It was totally bizarre. That's probably the meanest thing anybody ever did. To be fair, I dished out my fair share of mean girl-ness, too.

6. Even some of our favorite novels have received rejection letters during the publishing process. Did you receive any and if so how many?

Wow, I didn't even count how many rejections I got. That would be too depressing. Let's just say I got a lot.

7. What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

Write at least 500 words a night until you finish your book, then ask for feedback and revise, revise, revise. When looking for agents and publishers, be willing to revise some more and don't ever give up!

8. Were you a part of your high school choir? If so, what part did you sing (alto, soprano, ect.)?

I was in my high school chamber choir and show choir. I sang first soprano.

9. What is your favorite song of all time?

I've got favorite songs for various occasions, but there's one I always love to hear: "Sunday Morning Yellow Sky" by October Project - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GHRLPeC_xk

10. What are you working on now? Can you tell us about it?

I'm working on a YA project that combines contemporary, supernatural and dystopian elements. It's either really ambitious and cool or a huge hot mess. Right now I'm not worrying about which it is - I'm just enjoying writing it.


If you want to hear more about Sara Bennett Wealer, go HERE.  Loved her voice?  Check her blog out HERE.  Don't forget to follow her tweets on Twitter

Thank you for your wonderful interview, Sara!

You Might Also Like

0 comments