Kickin' It: September 2015

Wednesday, September 30, 2015


Kickin’ It is a new feature at The Bucket List where I round-up the whole month in one post, bringing you reviews you may have missed, other awesome bookish things, and even what I’m currently obsessed with in other media besides books. September is over.  Where is the time going?  I turned 22 this month which was exciting but also something I don't want to think about (another year older?!).  I didn't read a lot this month which both surprised me and bothered me.  I'm no longer interning so I thought I would have some downtown but between applying for jobs, working, and blogging, I barely have time to read.  I have officially dubbed October: time management month--the month in which I hope to figure out how to be Super Woman with my time management and do everything I want to accomplish.  Let's do this!



Infinite in Between by Carolyn Mackler (4 stars): Infinite in Between is the ultimate coming-of-age story.  Readers of all ages—but especially high-schoolers—will love and appreciate what Mackler has created.

Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers (5 stars): Unlike any contemporary I’ve ever read, Truest is truly a work of art, leaving readers with a thirst they can’t quench until they read it again.

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich (4 stars): This novel will have you reading up late at night, watching for shadows in the dark and huddling deeper into the cocoon of your blankets.  The Dead House is certainly not a book for the faint of heart.

Dumplin' by Julie Murphy (4 stars): Dumplin’ is the portrayal of a girl outside of her comfort zone, of a girl who is still trying to figure out the world.  It’s a wild page-tuner, hilarious until the very end.

The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow (2 stars): The Scorpion Rules could have been awesome—should have been awesome.  Instead it’s a mashup between Animal Farm and The Bachelor with robots; for me, those ingredients don’t make for a good or even okay novel.


Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers (my review): This book surprised me; I wasn’t expecting to love it as much as I do.  I could fangirl about the book (and the cute boy, Silas) for hours.  After posting the review on Goodreads, I actually received a message from Jackie Lea Sommers herself which was so sweet and awesome, I still can’t describe it in full detail without geeking out.


The Magicians by Lev Grossman: My friend has been trying to get me into this series for a while now.  Recently, I saw the second one at a yard sale and couldn’t resist.  Now all I need is to get my hands on the first one!

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard: The sequel to Red Queen! Need I say more?

Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson: I heard something about this novel at BEA but didn’t really pay too much attention to it until other bloggers starting raving about it.  I read a quick synopsis and I couldn’t add it to my bucket list quick enough.


Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor (10/20/2015): Last year, in college, my dorm-mates would gather in our common room to listen to the most strangest podcast we've ever heard.  After some research, I heard the creators were also writing a book, of the same name as the podcast, to accompany the work.  I had the pleasure of meeting these two authors at BEA this year and told them how the podcast brought our dorm together.  Can't wait to read this one!

The Masked Truth by Kelly Armstrong (10/13/2015): I don’t know much about this one but it is written by Kelly Armstrong, so it must be amazing.  A few years ago, I used to read her books religiously so I’m definitely excited for the release of a fresh new novel. 

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (10/20/2015): Despite not into the whole science fiction craze, Illuminae actually has so much more to offer than the genre I tend to not love.  Written in an untraditional format, similar to The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich, it will be sure to grab any read looking for an awesome story.  Can’t wait to dive in and read some super-secret files.


I wasn’t a fan of the new music that released this month except maybe Stitches by Shawn Mendes.  However, it is the season for new TV shows and when there are new shows, new advertising campaigns release as well.  I know it’s a bit strange to like watching commercials, but isn’t that what we all doing during the SuperBowl anyway?  In college, for assignments, I had to always study commercials and present them to the class.  I found two (but I can't find the second one online yet: an Expedia commercial) that I would love to talk about but instead of discussing, in length, I’ll just put them here—definitely, check them out. 


How was your September?




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I had the awesome chance to read Illuminaem, and it was so fantastic, and I really enjoyed it! Hope you do, too! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete